Saturday 4 February 2012

Bring on Mr Nice Guy!

I’ve just got back from coffee with a mate.  She has a new boyfriend - one of my oldest friends, incidentally - and I have a potential date with a very nice man.  That doesn’t happen regularly.  I mean, I have plenty of dates with emotional screw ups and hopeless dropkicks but a Nice Man?   That’s new to me. 

            Staci and I spent most of our coffee date screeching ‘But I’m scared!’, obsessively checking our Blackberries and wishing that we could just spend the next few weeks wrapped up within the safe confines of our duvets, watching trashy tv and eating Ben and Jerry’s.  Which is exactly how we usually spend our free time, whilst whinging that there are no nice men out there and if Pete and Paul would only wake up and come to their senses then life would be perfect. 

            Staci’s latest man went on holiday recently and brought her back a pair of Uggs.  When he presented them to her she was so nervous that she couldn’t look at him.  Then, when he suggested she try them on, she panicked and put them on the wrong feet.  It took him to point this out.  Whilst she was regaling me with this tale my phone beeped, and as soon as I read the text from my Nice Man I dropped my phone like it was ablaze.  I had to fight my urge to curl up under the Starbucks table, and I wanted my mum.  I even wanted to hear from my toxic ex.  I know that a Nice Guy is a Good Thing, it’s just that it’s all so different.  And different constitutes scary.

            The truth is that Staci and I have spent so long trying to win over the impossible cases that we’ve started to forget that there are plenty of decent men to be found, if we stop wasting our energy on the losers.  Old habits do die hard, but nothing is impossible.  And, at the moment, I’m feeling optimistic…! 

No comments:

Post a Comment